Inspired from Brads Video, which is awesome, I would like to share some tipps from my experience after almost 20 years in the trade.
1. Don’t buy a fancy looking chinese Hood from online plattforms. I got so many Customers in my Welding Classes and all of these Hoods where dangerous when it comes to safety! Even if they worked they switched to slow so after 2 hours your eyes hurt.
2. if you have to watch your money as a beginner buy a good cheap hood with fixed lenses from your local welding supply.
3. use separate helmets (or front glasses) for dirty welding like MIG and Fine welding like Tig. Just like Brad explained, you can not tig with a dirty lense…
4. take your time to set your headgear. They are all a little bit different so just take 5 minutes and set it to your maximum comfort
5. if you have problems with a fogged Glas inside and you can adjust your headgear, set it a little bit more away from your eyes. That will help
6. if you have a Helmet like Optrels and you use Pulse Frequencys like 6 Hz to 25 Hz the „auto shade“ won’t work well. Set it to manual when welding Pulse like that.
7. don’t Weld 300 Amps with a shade 8 because you can see everything around… in 99% you won’t need that, you want to see the puddle. And your eyes won’t get flashed as shade 8 but you will get tired pretty soon.
Hope this helps some beginners